Tuesday, June 24, 2014

poached eggs and pie

My morning started decent, considering it began at 5 am. The regularly scheduled breakfast cook had a day off, and I was taking her place. An added bonus of working the morning shift meant that after work, I had time to learn how to make Melissa Green's famous GF strawberry rhubarb pie. I was pretty stoked!

The menu for breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausages, and scones (celebration of alliteration!). Piece of cake, or so I thought! After putting the scones and sausages in the oven, I was ready to begin scrambling eggs. My brain was still a little groggy, so I was appreciative of the ease and simplicity of the meal.

Wandering into the refrigerator to grab the eggs, my heart dropped; a flat of 30 eggs was missing. This was not the time to be paralyzed by panic. I searched the cooler high and low, no eggs. I muscled the freezer door open, hoping someone accidentally misplaced the eggs (hehe, thinking about it now, turning frozen eggs into scrambled would have been quite the task). What do I do? Scrambling eggs required twice as many eggs as I had sitting in front of me.

I needed to make a decision quick: poach eggs or flip pancakes?

Never having eaten, let alone made a poached egg, I was intimidated by them. Perfect time to learn; plus if I made poached eggs I would not have to clean the grill. Bonus. A "how to" Google search alleviated a bit of anxiety. Then, to my relief, Melissa Green, who could live off of poached eggs, walked through the door. Impeccable timing. Breakfast went off without a hitch. I ate my first poached egg, AND I enjoyed it!

Even though the morning took an unexpected turn, baking pies was the salvation. My day ended with a piece of the best pie I have ever tasted. The crust was delicious and flakey. The vanilla ice cream was the perfect compliment as it slowly melted over the warm pie filling.

I even learned a valuable lesson; if using fruit that has been frozen, do not take the pie out early, let it sit for 45 minutes and expect it to be done. It will not be done. You will have to put the pie back in the oven. You will have to wait an extra long time for pie. I must have used up my patience durning breakfast.

No comments:

UPDATES FROM ALASKA

UPDATES


I posted more pictures on 9/13, click here to view