Thursday, March 5, 2009

the journey

Growing up comes with lots of questions, realizations, revelations and discovery. Growing up is life. It is living life and discovering yourself with in your own experience. At this time I am trying to find a balance between the realms of doing and being. I have days filled with passion and clarity while other days I feel confused and in search of patience. I wonder about what my mission is, why I am here, being aware that this is exactly where I need and want to be, but having struggling with seeing what the effect is while I am right in the middle of this all. Right in the middle of this experience that is my life. It will come; I am learning to have patience with all these questions, patience in knowing that I will live into the answers.

Laura-Catherine and I are on somewhat more of a consistent work schedule that is still pretty unpredictable. One long weekend a month we go to Cali to work the group of young adults that have started working on various social projects and are interested in continuing with service work within the Episcopal Church on a national and international level. One Saturday a month we teach English in the mornings to a wonderful group of members of the cathedral here in Bogota, following the English class, we participate in a philosophy and theology class for another few hours.

On Thursdays and Fridays public transportation helps us find our way into the south of the city and up to the a mission to teach English and mentor children from 6-13 who have no where to go once school lets out. They come to the church (the mission) for lunch and help with homework. Last week we had a blast teaching them the “three sharp toothed buzzards” song. A soccer break in the middle of class was a fantastic break, but apparently just because I am three times the size as these children goals do not count if you pick up them up in order to kick the ball into the goal. I suppose this means I will be doing soccer drills in the church parking lot. These kids are incredible, more thoughts about them will be coming soon, I am sure of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No laughing allowed during the soccer matches - okay? Gotta love those camp songs. Mom

Sue B. said...

It sounds like you are doing a great job with the children. Love YA!!!!

UPDATES FROM ALASKA

UPDATES


I posted more pictures on 9/13, click here to view