Monday, February 23, 2009


I am back! After spending the past eleven days in the coastal town of Cartagena, it feels quite nice to be back in Bogota, to be home. Pondering what to write has felt a little overwhelming as a rush of memories and insights flood my thoughts. I’ve decided to give a brief recap of what these past few weeks of my life have been like, although I suppose that is the point of this blog anyhow. This entry will be a touch bit longer, it is two in one- special of the day.

Having my mother come experience a part of Colombia, a part of my life here was amazing. To be able to show her around, explain the city, the culture, the people and have her know a part of my experience and have it become an experience that is now apart of her life was an amazing gift. Saying goodbye at the airport was surreal, the apartment felt empty without her presence.

Luckily I didn’t have too much time to dwell on her absence as two days after her departure, we jetted off to the beautifully picturesque and humid Cartagena, where were warmly welcomed by the parish priest and his family. They were incredibly helpful and generous especially with the fumigation of our room, feeding us broth and carrot juice while we were sick, and making plenty sure we knew where we were going.

After our first few days in Cartagena we met up with an incredible group of people from the Diocese of Connecticut (the companion diocese to Colombia). For the past 3 years they have brought a group down from their diocese making it possible to maintain a relationship with the churches in Colombia. We visited many of the parishes on the coast, helped host a radio show, met a group of ex-gang members trying to get their lives back on track, saw communitites of displaced families who have built their homes out of palates and tarps around the mounds of trash and mucky rivers.

It was inspiring to meet people who have such different and unique life stories; bringing on a fresh perspective to my thoughts on Colombia, on my life, on mission work and beyond. With this experience in Colombia, I have found myself many times at a loss of words, wanting badly to express my feelings and my experienced moments hoping you will get some small grasp on what life is like here. My difficulty of expression comes from the extremes I have seen, the extreme poverty and injustice but also the love, kindness and respect people have for friends, families and strangers. Trying to process it all and then articulate it. Big task.

I feel as if the second part to my mission has begun as work begins picking up pace. The first part was important to my understanding of this country, to understand and learn the patience of life and the importance of being with people just as much as the second will be. Now we are on the fast track after a visit to the doctor this afternoon we will be scheduling trips to different dioceses and parishes within and around Bogota while exploring the city with new friends. New photos are up check them out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audra, Well young lady, you have again outdone yourself with your tales and comments of your adventure down south. It is super to see the country through your eyes your discriptions bring every thing alive, thank you. Great pictures - thanks, the chocolate was awesome and the coffee is also and your discription is quite accurate.
Our snow is almost gone and the day time temps in the high30 to low 40, although I hear that we are to have more snow coming in late this after noon.
Do you remember the young man Robert that was at the BBQ last summer, well he came to see me and ask me to sell his new home (it has been 6 mo) he lost his job - lack of work and feels that he would rather sell than become deliquent so it goes on the market today, I told him that if he gets his job back that I expect him to "fire" me and keep the house so we have that agreement, and will see what happens.
How come you have to go to Atlanta for your visa? that is such a long plane ride, makes me tired just to thing about it.
Thanks again for the goodies, the prayers are still going, enjoy to the fullest and keep building the memories.
Blessings
Gram and Douglas

Dianne, Dee, Mom, Granny said...

Audra, it's wonderful to be able to stay in electronic, as well as spiritual, touch with you... Thank you for your wonderful blog. Also loved seeing your beautiful face (with those beautiful kids) on the Mission Sunday poster! Love and Lenten blessings from Kenya, Dianne

Mike said...

Look who is getting a suntan, I like that photo at the beach I didn't think it was you, so dark. Your blog makes me smile. I hope all is well.

Mike

UPDATES FROM ALASKA

UPDATES


I posted more pictures on 9/13, click here to view