Friday, October 18, 2013

smelling the roses

The past week has been beautifully sunny and clear. The clear skies generally mean chilled mornings at the lake, but I love it nonetheless. The sun highlights the vibrant colors of fall and makes stunning a appearance on the rise. Some mornings, I cannot help bursting out in amazement, "Look how pretty it is!" My voice echos across the lake, and we keep on rowing.  

For awhile, uncertainty terrorized my thoughts about being in Victoria. Now, that I am making friends on the rowing team, talking with professionals about career options, and exploring more of the city and bike paths, I feel more settled. Finally, I stopped waking up confused and wondering where where I was. And little Jinx is taking the move well. She loves sprinting along the rafters of the studio, and finding all the new smells and curious things outside.

The first few weeks of school I was biking everywhere. I felt cool on my new bike, dodging parked cars and pedestrians. Usually by the time I arrived anywhere sweat was dripping and I was smelly. I began to notice how intent I had become on going as hard and fast as my body will allow. So focused in fact, that I failed to notice the path I was actually on, which is absolutely gorgeous. The most recent trail I have been enjoying has a tree tunnel lined traveling over a lake, by a school, homes, many pastures and farm land. With the lush vegetation, and the birds singing, it feels as though I wandered into some secret garden. Who would want to opt out on an experience like that?

When I forget to take time to smell the roses, I fail to notice the world around me as I focus so intently on a destination. If I take even just a few seconds to appreciate a moment, usually I see the beauty around me, it can be found anywhere. Plus, arriving at the destination is much more pleasant. With this in mind, I decided that while out and about, I will take time to stop and smell the roses. And the fact of the matter is, it really does work! Last night as I was on my way to the market, I turned the corner and saw the delicate, almost full moon hanging low, just above the tree line. I exclaimed out loud, "Is that for real?!" Soon enough, I may find a more graceful way of expression, but for the time being, this is how it goes.



1 comment:

Chris 'n Leah said...

You have your mothers gift for words and expression. This was a beautiful post! I hope someday we may be able to spend some time together. I love your perspective on life and the Lords hand in our lives. I think you are pretty amazing!

UPDATES FROM ALASKA

UPDATES


I posted more pictures on 9/13, click here to view