Thursday, September 27, 2012

mi casa es tu casa



-->
The lodge is winding down and life has moved into a new phase. This transition started out rocky as the end of one job, led into the beginning of another and I felt the weight of my future looming over every decision I made. After much debating and figuring out my goals, I decided to get my own place and stay in Alaska through the spring. I moved into a little cabin on the Kasilof River and am working at a cafĂ©. Aside from drawing, reading, writing and simply enjoying myself, I am saving up to study Nutrition Therapy.

The past month life has seemed to find a way of being very timely. Once I made my decision to stay the winter in Alaska, I was offered a job, found a place to live and I might even have a car that will make it through the winter. I was also lucky enough to have my parents here to help me with the move and settling into my cabin.  

 

The first week on my own was surprisingly nice. The excitement of home making and having a place of my own that I've been craving for so long kept me distracted. I like the process of enjoying each of my days. I take pleasure in nature, solitude, independence and freedom to make decisions on my own. I read when I want to read, paint when I want to paint and can eat peanut butter and jelly on toast every morning for breakfast. If I don’t want to wash the pan right away, I don’t!

With a new home, and living alone, I have been reflecting on how fortunate I am to have met so many incredible people who were patient enough to love me and take me into to their home. Their generosity is humbling, and inspiring. Even though this cabin is small, I hope to pay it forward. I'm not just talking about with a bed to sleep in, but with kindness and hospitality. So, really, what I am saying is if anyone wants to visit Alaska… I have a futon waiting for you!

3 comments:

Sue B. said...

I love it! What a very warm and loving space you have for yourself now. Hope to have you visit this way some day it would be a pleasure and joy to have you. Love and hugs from the great state of Missouri, your Aunt Sue

auuudra said...

I would LOVE to visit you. My mom had such a blast when she went. I'm thinking a road trip might be in store:)

The Nonniest Mouse said...

Audra, your new digs are so great. It was wonderful to meet your incredible parents and eat all the food. This winter is going to be great.

UPDATES FROM ALASKA

UPDATES


I posted more pictures on 9/13, click here to view