Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Golden Birthday


These past two weeks are now finally catching up with me as I feel the rush excitement melt into exhaustion. Since Laura-Catherine arrived we have been all over the city, running errands, exploring, dancing, climbing and shopping. The down time we do have is usually spent prepping meals, washing dishes or finding a solution to a unique ‘apartment situation’ that has arisen. Today we had another early morning and now at 3 p.m., as I try to put these thoughts of mine into words, I find myself daydreaming/sleeping about my bed loaded with a think warm layer of blankets. Thankfully, my squeaky and somewhat wobbly office chair keeps me from drifting too far away.

Having a partner in crime (Laura-Catherine) to share this experience with has been wonderful. We have a lot in common, and we are really getting into the dramatic Spanish soap operas. Luckily, we enjoy a lot of the same foods, which makes shopping a breeze, most of the time. We can get a little carried away at the supermarket with wide selection of exotic foods, well actually it doesn’t matter if they are exotic foods, just food in general. We both love to cook.

About once a week I visit with Myriam and Oscar for Spanish classes, which mostly turn into conversations and story telling. I am surprised with how quickly the time passes, mostly being surprised by the fact that we are conversing with such ease in Spanish. I can now get through quite a bit of the conversation without having to stop and question a word and it feels so, so great. Now, I just need to work on a few things that get lost in translation, like my ‘sense of humor’.

Quick introduction for those of you who have not had the divine pleasure of meeting the wonderful and lovely Evita Krislock, she is my mother. Now that formal introductions are out of the way, I can share with you that in one day she will be arriving here, where I am, just a few degrees above the equator, in the majestic mountain setting of Bogota… Saturday we will zip off to visit friends in Ecuador, then on to sunny and scorpion filled Panama and only to return a week and a few days later to the beautiful Bogota. What an incredible birthday present, and I didn't even have to blow out any candles for this wish to come true. I'll see if I can get her to write a blog entry for a different perspective on a Colombian experience...

6 comments:

Mike said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Sue B. said...

Keep up the good work and enjoy the time you have with my sister your mother, yes she is a really good person and what a gift. Love YA!!!

Anonymous said...

BTW when I saw your mom throughout the duration of last weekend (Teens Encounter Christ) She could not stop talking about going down to visit you! I hope that you guys have a blast! Also Happy 24th!

P Mixter said...

Audra, have a great visit with your madre! We continue to hold you in our thoughts and prayers, appreciating your updates! Gracias!

Anonymous said...

are you wearing checkered or polka dot shoes? either way, very cool.

Anonymous said...

Audra, Well, I am late with my note and your happy Bday greeting, can't beleive that you are really 24 and on the 24th. I know that you and your Mon are haveing a super good time, traveling, exploring, visiting, enjoying each other. Sounds like the apartment is working out great, I know that you and your roomie will be creative in many ways making everything "yours" cozy and comfortable. When I do my tharapy I always give Rhonda an Audra update, she is quite excited for you and enjoys hearing of your escapades. We are supposed to be getting more snow although it has not arrived which is fine with everyone here. We really do need more on the Mts what we have gotten has been really dry not much water content. Give your Mom a hug for me, still have the prayers going. Blessings Gram

UPDATES FROM ALASKA

UPDATES


I posted more pictures on 9/13, click here to view